King George Parent Advisory Council
February 7, 2017
Meeting started 7:00 PM
Tim Philps, Chair
Jen Moorhead, Treasurer
Jason Lauzon, Principal
Adele Esnault, Teacher Liaison
Approximately 5 parents
1. Treasurer Report
· Pending $11000 in account waiting to be disbursed by June 30 as authorized.
· $5204 YTD disbursed
2. Principals Report: Jason Lauzon
· Teachers on call shortage, given so many hiring’s by the VSB there is a shortage of substitute teachers which will continue for the remainder of the year. Other teachers and principal are covering when a teacher is absent. There may be times when we cannot cover a class if there are several teachers off at the same time. Every effort will be made to ensure all classes have teacher and or principal supervision.
· KG has been approved to get a new roof, timeline is pending. KG site also being considered for full renovation with the community center however this could be several more years before anything is approved.
· Hydro substation at Lord Roberts Annex which requires upgrading; parents can voice concerns they may have to the VSB/Government website.
· Senior Boys Basketball won city finals and now off to the Provincials in Langley.
· Mini School next year will be called Enriched MYP & Leadership Mini. Tech Immersion program will no longer continue. 45 grade 8’s will be a part of this new mini program. Jason Lazon to be the primary teacher liaison for this program.
· MYP: Mr. Beden who has left the school to pursue another role at a new school Mr. Patrick Wilbin is taking over this post for MYP teacher liaison
· Several new teachers have been hired at KG: drama, and another support teacher these positions have been filled.
· Vinci Kam new teacher rep for LINK
· MYP Fair upcoming, grade 10’s will present their personal projects.
· Balanced Calendar school year proposed and sister elementary schools very interested. Will require more discussion and meetings going forward: 3 months on 1 month off
Meeting adjourned: 8:00 PM
Next PAC meeting Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 7:00PM
King George Library